Monday, July 15, 2019

Gwendy’s Button Box Review

Where to start with Gwendy’s Button Box? Well, I guess it helps to start with this. I’m a constant reader, I love Stephen King. That being said, I’ve found much of his most recent work a bit lacking. This isn’t a knock on King, I’m here to review Gwendy’s Button Box and it must be said that this is by far the best thing I’ve read from King in a long time. Gwendy’s Button Box is a highly imaginative piece of work from two veterans.

By now, most are familiar with the fact that King can write long, epic length novels. What you should never forget about King is that he is also a master of the shorter works. The novella length also plays to the strengths of Chizmar as well. Gwendy’s Button Box is the tale of a Gwendy Peterson. We’re dropped into the story when Miss Peterson meets up with a certain man in black, Richard Fair. Yes, that man in black. Gwendy is given a box which has certain mystical qualities, but also harbors a great power, which in the wrong hands could wreak havoc at the push of a button. Literally. What follows is Gwendy’s experience as the box’s keeper. We witness a young girls coming of age, her highs and her lows. This being a work of SK, you know it won’t take long for bad things to happen, and bad things DO happen. I don’t want to say much more about this.  This one is a bit tough to discuss without spoiling anything. It’s worth noting that as soon as I finished this I pre-ordered Gwendy’s Magic Feather. It was that good.

I read Gwendy’s Button Box in one sitting. Stephen King and Richard Chizmar have crafted an excellent Novella. It’s beautiful written, highly imaginative and it keeps you turning those pages. If you’re going to buy this, and you should, it’s worth noting that the Hardcover edition from Cemetery Dance is a beautiful book and looks amazing on your shelf. I highly recommend this one.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment