Sunday, August 25, 2019

Sour Candy Review

Sour CandySour Candy by Kealan Patrick Burke

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Sour Candy is my introduction to Kealan Patrick Burke. I was familiar with the authors name, and was sold on this particular Novella because of its beautiful cover. People can tell you not to judge a book by its cover all they want, I did, and it worked out perfectly.

Sour Candy tells the story of a man name Phil, who’s trip to the grocery store introduces him to a haggard looking woman and her creepy child. A seemingly chance encounter with the pair literally changes everything Phil has known about his life and calls into question his mental stability. I absolutely loved Sour Candy. It packs so much more into a tiny package than many 300 page books do, much like the candies it’s named after. This is a tough one to talk about without spoilers because of the length. I really enjoyed the story, I haven’t read anything quite like it before. I had no idea where Burke was taking me and that made it even better. One thing that often unsettles me in books and movies are creepy children, and it’s safe to say that Sour Candy delivers in that regard. This is a wonderfully written novella, Burke is very descriptive and really sets the atmosphere. Not a single word is wasted on the page.

Sour Candy is my kind of nightmare fuel. It’s a quick read and can easily be finished in one sitting. In the short duration it took me to read it, I found myself creeped out more than I have in a lot of books I’ve read lately. This one will have you glad you were taught not to take candy from strangers.

5/5



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment