Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Consequences Review

ConsequencesConsequences by John Quick

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Did you miss John Quicks debut, Consequences? Fear not, the wonderful people at Poltergeist press have got you covered.

Teenage friends decide to throw a little party in a secluded cabin to celebrate graduation, one last hurrah before they go their separate ways. Things don’t go as planned, an accident happens and one of them ends up dead. Someone is out to make sure they suffer the consequences of their mistake.

The book opens fantastically. We start off with a bit of history of where the local “crazy Freddy” legend comes from, and then from there on out the book moves at a break neck pace, it doesn’t feel like 300+ pages.

Quick elected to make a slasher without supernatural elements, and I believe it was the right choice here. The killer is brutal, but he’s not invincible and it makes the tension thick, but you feel as if the kids might have a chance.

I also enjoyed the characters here, they’re typical slasher fare, but Quick developed them well enough that when bodies start dropping you worry for them.

I enjoyed my time with Consequences. This is an excellent homage to slashers. I know people will think of 70’s and 80’s slashers but to me, this felt like a written version of something like I know what you did last summer. It’s an absolute blast and I highly recommend

4.5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment