Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Shallow Graves Review


The Newest Release from Robert Essig and Jack Bantry is here. An 11 story collection by way of Deaths Head Press. Does the duo kill it? Or should this one be left in its own shallow grave?

This collections served as my introduction to both authors, so initially, I was unsure what to expect. What we have here is a collection of Brutal, Sick stories. Some of these were tough to read because of the subject matter in them. I’m not one for trigger warnings, but those readers who care about that type of thing might want to seek them out. That being said, despite how tough some of these could be, I found myself unable to peel my eyes away from the horror before me.

Many of the stories in here are on the shorter side, or at least felt that way. I read the kindle edition, so it had locations instead of pages, but the brevity of the stories played to their strengths. I’m all for an epic short, but in this collection, smaller pieces just seem better suited to the material. 

A few of the standouts in here for me were Starving Artist, Like Ants on a Carcass, and A Lesson in Renegade Filmmaking. The rest of the stories ranged from ok to great, the stories I highlighted were just a few of my favorites. 

If you’re a fan of in your face, brutal horror, this is a collection for you. If you’re squeamish, or have issues with certain triggers, this may not be for you. Either way, I personally enjoyed the collection, even if it made me feel a bit mortified at times.

4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment