Sunday, October 20, 2019

Ghoster Review

GhosterGhoster by Jason Arnopp

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Just in time for Halloween, Jason Arnold blesses us with his latest supernatural thriller, Ghoster.

Kate Collins is an addict. Looking to fill a void in her, Kate becomes obsessed with social media and her phone. Twitter, Facebook, dating apps. It isn’t until a horrible accident that Kate realizes she has an issue. Fast forward through time, and Kate moves into her boyfriends apartment only to find that the entire flat is cleared out, nothing remaining but his smartphone. Kate clings to the phone like an addict looking for a fix and it’s not long until the dead show up.

I had a blast reading Ghoster. This is my first book by Jason Arnopp, and I was pleasantly surprised by what I read. I absolutely loved how the book deals with societies addiction to technology and social media. Kate Collins was a great character. She is a woman who has issues and knows it. Her self knowledge leads to a lot of funny dialogue within the book, and make for an interesting narrative. I really enjoyed the supernatural aspect of this book, and don’t want to give too much away about it, but I will say that it is another perfect piece of the puzzle that Arnopp has woven into this tale. Where is Kate’s boyfriend? Who are these odd calls coming from? Why are gouges being taken out of the door frame from within the house? These questions and more kept the pages turning. This is a book that i picked up and the next thing I know, a few hundred pages were gone. The ending of the book wasn’t what I expected, I genuinely had no idea what was going on, and for that I loved it even more.

Ghoster is a supernatural thriller for the social media obsessed society we find ourselves in today. It’s a funny, intriguing read filled with spookiness, sarcasm, an an ability to make you question your own technological addictions.

5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment